Friday, August 14, 2026

Sparring Lesson

Me: "What are you doing, bud?"
Troy: "Playing with my Legos."
Me: "Do you want to practice our martial arts?"
Troy: "Not really."
Me: "Okay, I guess I'll practice alone. I was going to suggest that we put the combat gear on and spar, but I guess not..."
Troy [standing up in lightning speed]: "Yeah, I'd love to do that!"

...all geared up...

Me: "There's a few things you need to remember. Always stand with your side facing me, so you give me less of a target to hit. Keep your hands up to protect yourself. And try to block my kicks and punches and then counterattack with your own."
Troy: "How do I block?"
Me: "You use the three blocks that you learned in your form. The high block, the muscle block, and the low block. Let's practice. We'll go slow, so you can get the hand of it."
Troy [frustrated]: "How come I can't get any hits on you?"
Me: "Well, it's because I have a distinct height advantage on you. I can hit you long before you get close to me."
Troy: "Well, that's not any fun! How do I fight you then?"
Me: "You have to block my kick to draw me in closer, and then strike with your own kick. Try it."
Troy: "I did it! I totally got you in the side! Next, I'm going to kick you in the head!"
Me [laughing]: "How are you going to reach my head?"
Troy: "You're going to have to bend down or get on your knees."
Me: "I'm not doing that!"
Troy: "Why not?"
Me: "Because I'd prefer not to be kicked in the head.  Okay, now you try to kick me."

...catching his foot and holding it...

Troy: "Hey!  You didn't tell me that we could catch the kicks!"
Me [laughing]: "I can't give away all of my secrets, because then you might beat me.  Let me show you what you can do after you have their foot.  Kick me again."

...catching his foot and holding it...

Me: "Now that I have you, and you're off balance, I'll just step forward, pushing your leg, and nudging you with my chest.  And you fall right over!"
Troy: "I want to try that!  Kick me!"

...catching my foot and holding it...

Troy: "What do I do again?"
Me: "Step toward me and push my leg."
Troy: "I did it!  Now, can we practice you falling on the ground and me beating you mercilessly while you're vulnerable?!"
Me: "Great, I've created a monster."

No comments:

Post a Comment